Our Top 5 Essential Oil Takeaways From Lori Cohen
- It’s important to look for 100% natural oils with no add-ins. This is the REAL stuff! You are putting these oils in your system so they need to be organic, pesticide-free and pure.
- Oils can be used topically or aromatically. Diluting essential oils used on skin with coconut oil, olive oil or avocado oil is a common practice especially for people with sensitive skin or children. BUT, diluting doesn’t lessen the effectiveness at all! Did you know one drop of peppermint oil is equivalent to 28 cups of peppermint tea?!
- Since the outer membrane of a cell is naturally oily, essentials oils can be more effective than traditional medicine since traditional medicine is usually water-based and has a hard time penetrating the cell. (PLUS, no side effects with oils and typically less expensive!)
- Essential oils are also very effective for emotional wellness because our olfactory system communicates with our lymphatic system, which is the emotional part of our brain. Therefore, our bodies are quick to respond to the aroma.
- If you’re unsure of which essentials oils would best suit you or apply to your needs, start with the more broad categories of citrus (waking) or floral (calming) or earthy (grounding) and narrow down from there.
Our go-to oils change with the day and the season, but some of the classics that we love to carry around are:
Use Peppermint for headaches; to wake up; cooling.
Use Wild Orange for mood lifting; when you are sad; if struggling to start the day.
Use Lavender for worry; anxiety; calming.